Case & Tray Terminology

The following terms apply to case forming and sealing and tray forming and sealing:

A package comprising of a case containing a bag which closely fits the case and contains the product.

A box with 3 components: main body and 2 end panels. It's made to be formed and glued on automated equipment. Chief advantage is stacking strength.

Center special slotted corrugated container: major and minor flaps meet at the center. Similar to RSC regular slotted container.

Incorrect term for corrugated box materials; not applicable for container materials

Method of sealing the flaps of a cases; may be cold glue, hot melt, or tape

Cold glue
A method of sealing cases with cold resin adhesives, usually applied as a spray or extrusion

Corrugated board
A combination of corrugated medium materials between 2 flat facings

Die cut
A custom-made steel die used to cut corrugated fibreboard before it is folded and joined

Edge crush test (ECT)
Standardized measurement of the compression strength of a column of corrugated board

Fibreboard (Fiberboard)
Fabricated paperboard utilized in container manufacture, may be corrugated or solid construction

The closing members of a box

The corrugations of fibreboard glued to multiple facings

Gap flap
Technique of designing a case with shorter than normal flaps to save cost, requires glue closure

Half slotted container, with flaps only on one end

Hot melt
Thermoplastic adhesive, heated to liquid form and applied to seal both case and tray flaps

Knock down depth

Knock down length

Layer pad
A sheet of card or corrugated board used to stabilize a pallet or loading unit

Paperboard used for the flat facings on corrugated fibreboard

Loading unit
Generally a palletized load, but including assemblies of group packages which are not on pallets.

A mechanical assembly designed to hold stacks of cartons, carton blanks, leaflets, labels, lids or stackable containers.

A mechanical assembly around which a tray or bliss box is formed.

Manufacturer's joint
A flat piece of corrugated that has been cut, slotted and scored, is called a box blank. For some box styles two parts of the box must be joined together. The way to join the joints is either by glue, tape or staples. This joint is known as the manufacturer's joint.

Overlap flaps
A box design where top and/or bottom flaps extend partially or fully one over the other.

Programmable logic control; is programmed with the electronic commands for operating a machine through the various stages of its cycle

A term embracing all types of packages e.g. bottles, cans, cartons, bags etc.

Regular slotted container; all the flaps are the same length and the lengthwise flaps meet at the center of the box

Rigid container
A term embracing bottles, jars, drums, barrels, kegs, pails, cups, tubs, ampoules, vials, cans and composite cans.

An impression or crease in corrugated fibreboard to locate and facilitate folding

A cut in fibreboard which doesn't remove material

Tape head
A mechanical device designed to dispense pressure sensitive tape

Used to seal cases, available in pressure sensitive or gummed adhesive types

Solid, one-piece bottom instead of a bottom formed by folding and sealing bottom flaps